It is time to give Vintage Radio a major refit and overhaul. Among the tasks that I need to complete over the next week or two are as follows:
- A new site design. For the first time, Vintage Radio will take on a two column format using a fixed width which will allow the site to look the same, no matter what your resolution is. This will help those with older computers to be able to see the whole site and not having to scroll across to see things. It also makes the main content area a bit more manageable too.
- More forum functionality. There is a few features that users have asked for. I'd like to include them and this is a good time to do it. You will soon have the ability to edit your own posts, update your own account details and retrieve a forgotten password. Adding links and photos will also be much easier.
- The articles and tutorials will be better organised and catagorised. At the moment things are a bit all over the place but these things will be managed a bit better in future.
- Archiving of articles and front page news/comments. The front page of the site will take on a weblog-style format and site members will be able to comment directly on any threads placed on the front page. This will be a seperate area from the site forums. You will still be able to start your own threads on the forums of course.
- An expanded services directory. Currently only I can add contact details for people and companies. This will change so that business owners and service providers can add themselves to the directory. This will allow them more business exposure and if they own a website their sites will get more exposure due to the functionality that 'crawlable' web linking provides.
So as you can see, there is a fair bit of work to get done and this will mean the biggest overhaul for the site since its inception in 2003. The main challenge is making the improvements with as little interruptions as possible. I will endeavour to do this.
Unfortunately, there may be an instance where site members will need to log back into the site once it has been replaced. If you have forgotten your password, please email me at chatbotbigpond.com and I will send you the password. If you need to do this, please only contact me from the email address you used to register with as this is the only way I can verify you as the rightful account owner. If your email address has changed, you will need to quote the old address though, depending on the circumstances I may ask you to provide some other method of identifying yourself.
Within the next few days the forums will become dormant until transferred to the new site. This means that you'll still be able to read comments but you won't be able to write comments or new threads while the improvements are taking place. This is to prevent the database from becoming corrupted.
I hope that I can do all this in less than the promised two weeks. The project's completion time will depend on the usual and rather common outside influences though, such as work and the other normal activities in life.
A valve a day keeps the transistor away...