Welcome to Australia's only Vintage Radio and Television discussion forums. You are not logged in. Please log in below, apply for an account or retrieve your password.
Australian Vintage Radio Forums
  Home  ·  About Us  ·  Discussion Forums  ·  Glossary  ·  Outside Links  ·  Policies  ·  Services Directory  ·  Safety Warnings  ·  Tutorials

Tech Talk

Forum home - Go back to Tech talk

 What is This Piece of Equipment?
« Back · 1 · Next »
 Return to top of page · Post #: 1 · Written at 3:07:11 PM on 2 April 2016.
Cpsmusic's Gravatar
 Location: Melbourne, VIC
 Member since 18 February 2014
 Member #: 1507
 Postcount: 51


Here's another thing I came across while clearing out my late-Father's electronics workshop. It's probably something radio-related. Any idea what it is?




 Return to top of page · Post #: 2 · Written at 3:20:12 PM on 2 April 2016.
Clive Durham's Gravatar
 Location: Grenfell, NSW
 Member since 8 July 2015
 Member #: 1771
 Postcount: 212

Looks like a vibrator unit to run from a battery to supply a valve radio etc


 Return to top of page · Post #: 3 · Written at 2:20:04 AM on 3 April 2016.
Tallar Carl's avatar
 Location: Latham, ACT
 Member since 21 February 2015
 Member #: 1705
 Postcount: 1531

Thats exactly what it is. Its easy enough to rewire it and recap it. Some one in this group might want it if you wish to sell it.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 4 · Written at 2:52:09 PM on 3 April 2016.
Ian Robertson's Gravatar
 Location: Belrose, NSW
 Member since 31 December 2015
 Member #: 1844
 Postcount: 1790

Doesn't look like it needs rewiring or much re-capping. The two Ducon wax paper caps should be at least checked and replaced with suitable high current/voltage parts. Others will be fine.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 5 · Written at 10:22:47 PM on 3 April 2016.
Tallar Carl's avatar
 Location: Latham, ACT
 Member since 21 February 2015
 Member #: 1705
 Postcount: 1531

I just recapped one for my radiola 608T. 80% of the wiring was crunchy and falling apart. It looked good untill you touched it . Definetly was not a big job but had to be done. There was a totall of 8 Caps . I replaced them all at a cost of maybe 10 bucks or less. The only thing I didnt do was take the actual Vibrator module apart ( and I should have ) as we found a lot of dirt but once it was cleaned up it worked a dream.

« Back · 1 · Next »
 You need to be a member to post comments on this forum.

Sign In

 Keep me logged in.
Do not tick box on a computer with public access.