Welcome to Australia's only Vintage Radio and Television discussion forums. You are not logged in. Please log in below, apply for an account or retrieve your password.
Australian Vintage Radio Forums
  Home  ·  About Us  ·  Discussion Forums  ·  Glossary  ·  Outside Links  ·  Policies  ·  Services Directory  ·  Safety Warnings  ·  Tutorials

General Discussion

Forum home - Go back to General discussion

 What are those pins called?
« Back · 1 · Next »
 Return to top of page · Post #: 1 · Written at 4:55:28 PM on 30 March 2019.
GTC's avatar
 Location: Sydney, NSW
 Member since 28 January 2011
 Member #: 823
 Postcount: 6012

I can't for the life of me remember the names of those pins. They are a form of small rivet (brass or steel) used to attach metal plates to metal cases. Typical uses are rating plates on electric motors and frame numbers on motorcycles. They have mushroom heads and the shank is slightly serrated -- not so much a thread as a series of ridges. Once lightly hammered in to the appropriate size hole they stay put.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 2 · Written at 5:24:07 PM on 30 March 2019.
Marcc's avatar
 Location: Wangaratta, VIC
 Member since 21 February 2009
 Member #: 438
 Postcount: 4344

Page 1188 of my Machinery Handbook (& that's not even the middle.) reveals that the solid rivet is designated by its head. The "Pop Rivet" is also known as a blind rivet & was originally invented for aircraft panels in WWII. I use them up to 3/16"

The ones in radio chasses are normally a hollow type that are either spread by a dolly, or I think(?) a nut riveter.


 Return to top of page · Post #: 3 · Written at 5:52:25 PM on 30 March 2019.
GTC's avatar
 Location: Sydney, NSW
 Member since 28 January 2011
 Member #: 823
 Postcount: 6012

The ones I'm after are used from the front only, in situations where there is no access from the rear. They bind within the solid body metal via their lightly serrated shafts. They are a pin rather than a pop rivet. A mate of mine uses them on old motorcycles and he would give me the name immediately, but he's travelling and incommunicado.

Picture a metal rating plate on an electric motor, with small pins in each corner.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 4 · Written at 6:12:24 PM on 30 March 2019.
Johnny's avatar
 Location: Hobart, TAS
 Member since 31 July 2016
 Member #: 1959
 Postcount: 411

Like a pin anchor, but without the centre pin.
A metal pin nail?
Will be interested to know what they are really called.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 5 · Written at 1:56:40 AM on 31 March 2019.
GTC's avatar
 Location: Sydney, NSW
 Member since 28 January 2011
 Member #: 823
 Postcount: 6012

Got it: Hammer drive screws (which have coarse threads). Damn obvious name when I think about it. A case of "I vaguely recall the face but what's your name?"

 Return to top of page · Post #: 6 · Written at 5:23:00 AM on 31 March 2019.
Fred Lever's Gravatar
 Location: Toongabbie, NSW
 Member since 19 November 2015
 Member #: 1828
 Postcount: 882

GTC I know exactly what you mean. I used to fit nameplates to alternator cases with them.
They had a specific name when we used to buy them by the box from Blackwoods.
The only problem is I cannot remember what they were called!!
The were round head, brass and had a lazy knurl on the shaft.
They fitted I think a 1/8" drilled hole and you hammered them in either straight with a hammer or using a cupped pin punch.
I thought I would have remembered the name by now just talking about them....nope!

 Return to top of page · Post #: 7 · Written at 6:13:58 AM on 31 March 2019.
STC830's Gravatar
 Location: NSW
 Member since 10 June 2010
 Member #: 681
 Postcount: 941

Found in Wikipedia

Drive rivet
A drive rivet is a form of blind rivet that has a short mandrel protruding from the head that is driven in with a hammer to flare out the end inserted in the hole. This is commonly used to rivet wood panels into place since the hole does not need to be drilled all the way through the panel, producing an aesthetically pleasing appearance. They can also be used with plastic, metal, and other materials and require no special setting tool other than a hammer and possibly a backing block (steel or some other dense material) placed behind the location of the rivet while hammering it into place. Drive rivets have less clamping force than most other rivets. Drive screws, possibly another name for drive rivets, are commonly used to hold nameplates into blind holes. They typically have spiral threads that grip the side of the hole.

So at least this is what they may be called in the US of A.

 Return to top of page · Post #: 8 · Written at 2:18:08 PM on 31 March 2019.
GTC's avatar
 Location: Sydney, NSW
 Member since 28 January 2011
 Member #: 823
 Postcount: 6012

« Back · 1 · Next »
 You need to be a member to post comments on this forum.

Sign In

 Keep me logged in.
Do not tick box on a computer with public access.