Welcome to Australia's only Vintage Radio and Television discussion forums. You are not logged in. Please log in below, apply for an account or retrieve your password.
Australian Vintage Radio Forums
  Home  ·  About Us  ·  Discussion Forums  ·  Glossary  ·  Outside Links  ·  Policies  ·  Services Directory  ·  Safety Warnings  ·  Tutorials

General Discussion

Forum home - Go back to General discussion

 Astor Mickey OZ heat shielding
« Back · 1 · Next »
 Return to top of page · Post #: 1 · Written at 11:55:54 AM on 4 June 2017.
Samt's Gravatar
 Location: Hobart, TAS
 Member since 6 May 2013
 Member #: 1337
 Postcount: 72

I recently purchased a 1933 Astor Mickey Mouse model OZ for a very good price from a local auction. It is a very compact 5 valve superhet receiver with a wooden cabinet that is lined with asbestos above the rectifier and output valve. There is also a second asbestos heat shield between the valves and the transformer. I have decided that I will have the asbestos safely removed before I restore this radio.
I would like to ask from anyone who owns or has restored this model if this radio can operate without the heat shields, or should the asbestos be replaced with a more modern and safer alternative? Thanks, Sam


 
 Return to top of page · Post #: 2 · Written at 1:28:36 PM on 4 June 2017.
Ian Robertson's Gravatar
 Location: Belrose, NSW
 Member since 31 December 2015
 Member #: 1844
 Postcount: 1903

I use silicon rubber kitchen heat pads for politically-sensitive jobs. They are easy to cut, form and glue.

However the asbestos is perfectly safe if it is either wet, sealed or otherwise undisturbed..

One-pack epoxy lacquer (e.g. Instant Estapol) is ideal for this purpose.Give it a good soaking and those fibres will go nowhere.


 
 Return to top of page · Post #: 3 · Written at 10:39:55 AM on 6 June 2017.
Wa2ise's avatar
 Location: Oradell, US
 Member since 2 April 2010
 Member #: 643
 Postcount: 766

You can make asbestos in radios safe: See the bottom of my web page for instructions.


 
 Return to top of page · Post #: 4 · Written at 6:02:19 PM on 6 June 2017.
Samt's Gravatar
 Location: Hobart, TAS
 Member since 6 May 2013
 Member #: 1337
 Postcount: 72

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to purchase an asbestos grade mask and seal the asbestos outside by soaking it with estapol. I will then thoroughly clean the cabinet and radio chassis with a damp cloth. It is expensive to legally dispose of asbestos here. There is only one tip in Hobart that will accept asbestos and they charge a $120 special handling fee. Unfortunately because of the high cost of disposal, old fibro sheeting is regularly found dumped in the bush here.


 
 Return to top of page · Post #: 5 · Written at 6:21:04 PM on 6 June 2017.
GTC's avatar
 GTC
 Location: Sydney, NSW
 Member since 28 January 2011
 Member #: 823
 Postcount: 6010

Unfortunately because of the high cost of disposal, old fibro sheeting is regularly found dumped in the bush here.

Same situation in Sydney. I drove past a truckload of fibro dumped by the side of a back road in Luddenham a few months ago.

Bureaucrats are often idiots. Instead of making it easy to dispose of hazardous material, they do the exact opposite, and the result is entirely predictable.


 
« Back · 1 · Next »
 You need to be a member to post comments on this forum.

Sign In

Username:
Password:
 Keep me logged in.
Do not tick box on a computer with public access.